Tuesday, January 17, 2012

WHAT I LOVE AND HATE ABOUT INDIE BOOKS!

I discovered Indie (self published) books a little over a year ago, after being forced into an early retirement and had fewer funds for the more expensive traditionally published ebooks. Since then I have purchased over 100 Indie books and have fell completely in love with the them and the authors who write them.

I feel that indie authors take more of a leap of faith, by self publishing their works, than they do by sending it into a publisher to be scrutinized by people looking for the next best seller. They are also able to publish books that do not conform to the current hysteria or the most popular flavor of the month. I know, some do, but they also take that flavor and add something new to it.

So, the things that I love about indie books, and their authors, is the courage they display by being themselves. They have forged a new horizon for the rest of us writers who have sat back in silent terror of the big publishing houses and their pile of rejection form letters.

What I hate most about indie books are the the bad feedback they get from some of their readers. Most of the bad feedback I have read is directed more at the few grammatical errors found in the book, rather than the story. Yes, I have read a few books (very few) where the grammar was terrible and it did take away from the story. But, what the readers need to understand is that these books do not go through a tradional editing format. They are usually edited by friends, family, fans, or volunteers. And, hey, I can easily see the editor getting so caught up in the story that they forget to do the editing.

So, to all readers out there, please give indie authors a break and see what is really in front of you. What you have in your hands is a piece of art that a brave artist has created to bring enjoyment to your life. Nothing in life is perfect. Flaws are what brings beauty to a fabulous piece of art. If you don't believe me, look at paintings by Picasso. They are one big, beautiful mess.

Okay, I just had to get that off my chest. I will hopefully be joining the ranks of indie authors during the next year and I wanted to let them know how much inspiration they have already brought to my life. You are the most courageous, brilliant, and talented people. You have given me something that no one else has ever been able to give me. HOPE!!

P.S. For all readers and reviewers out there, please quit comparing every book to "Twilight". Stephenie Meyer did not set the precedence on young adult/paranormal books or vampires. They both have actually been around for quite some time. She just helped to bring this genre back into the limelight.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I agree with many things you've said! Best of luck with your novel!

    ReplyDelete