Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Promises Not Made, Can't Be Broken

I am not going to promise myself or anyone else that I am going to blog everyday, or even every week. What I am going to say is that I am going to try and blog a little more often.

There...that's done. Now, on to other things.

Life is still hectic. Taking care of family will always be a priority, but I am trying to live my dreams in between those moments of priority.

I will be in my first craft show this year. YAY!! I have been crafting for over 20 years, and have always wanted to be in a craft show. So, that means one dream will now be accomplished. Go me!!

But, my biggest thing is my writing. I am now working on a new zombie series (I love zombies, don't you?).

The "Until The End" series will be comprised of three books: "Outlive", "Outlast", and "Outlove". I am currently about a third of the way through "Outlive", and am hoping to be finished with it by November. I am super excited about this book series, and am finding it one of the easiest things that I have ever written...and here's why.

I have always read writers tips by famous authors, and tried to apply those tips to my writing. Well, I'm here to tell ya that that is not the thing to do!! It left me in a constant state of chaos.

If so-and-so said that you needed to plot your book ahead of time, well then I tried to do that. If another one said that you can't write until you find your voice, and this was how to do it...then that's what I did. If an author that I admired was to say that they key to writing was to whistle Dixie, while standing on your head in the middle of the train tracks, then I would have tried it.

Well, guess what folks?? It ain't like that!!!

The one that made the most sense, but stumped me the most, was "write what you know". Heck, I don't know 'nuthin' 'bout 'nuthin', so what the heck was I gonna write about?? I stumbled over this one for years. Then it came to me - I knew ME!!

One evening, I was sitting in my chair watching some show on tv, when an idea hit me out of the blue. It was about a farm girl in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. That farm girl was ME! I had grown up on a large dairy farm in the Missouri Ozarks, and I knew exactly how my character would behave. I knew the things she would know. And, I knew the things she could do.

Also, for the first time, I did not spend weeks and months plotting out this book. I took it from day one, with a handful of characters, and just started writing. And, ended up completely blown away by the ease of how my story was flowing, how my characters just knew what to do next, and how much I was enjoying writing it.

It dawned on me then, that for me, plotting out the entire book was like already telling the story. Once the story was told, I had no need to write it. With this book, the zombie apocalypse WAS the plot. I was not being held back by anything, and I could let my story go anywhere it needed to go.

Hmmm, kind of like reading a book.

So, here I am, in all my writing glory and ready to shout to the world that I am finally going to have a book ready to publish by the end of the year. Woo Hoo!!

One day soon, I will start posting a little about the book (no promises made on exactly when..he he). And, when the time is right, I will start on a promotional campaign to start reaching readers.

Until then...

Love and Hugs,

Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment